What are sulfites? Why is it that almost every bottle of wine is labeled as containing sulfites, and what exactly do they do to the wine?First, we need to be clear that sulfites are a natural byproduct of the fermentation process and are very beneficial for wine. On the one hand, it prevents the wine from oxidizing and keeps its fresh taste. On the other hand, sulfite also plays a role in extracting pigments and maintaining the flavor of the wine during the fermentation process. It is because of its special role that sulfite occupies an irreplaceable position in the production and storage of wine. Almost all wines in the world contain sulfites, and all at very low levels, ranging from 10 PPM to 350 PPM (unit of measurement: parts per million). Because of their selective, clarifying, antioxidant, acidifying, and solubilizing effects, sulfites are used correctly to enable smooth winemaking and storage, thus improving the quality of the wine. So, how does sulfite perform these roles? During the winemaking process, when sulfur dioxide comes into contact with organic matter such as grape juice, seeds, and skins, a series of chemical reactions occur, forming sulfur dioxide and bisulfite (bisulfite). This is when the Bisulphite combines with over 50 molecules in the unfermented grape must (Must) to help extract color and flavor. Sulfur dioxide, on the other hand, acts as an antimicrobial agent (Antimicrobial Agent), killing bacteria, yeast, etc. In general, yeast used for grape juice fermentation is resistant to sulfur dioxide and will not affect its normal fermentation. However, it is important to note that high levels of sulfur dioxide can cause the wine to have an unpleasant odor like rotten eggs.
Winemakers are always trying to make good wine. A good winemaker is careful to manage the sulfite content of the wine to take full advantage of it, resulting in a high quality wine. In fact, to date, no scientific studies have found a direct link between sulfites and headaches and allergies.Once we understand the “loving” relationship between wine and sulfites, we don’t have to talk about sulfur anymore! Of course, if you are really sensitive to sulfur, then you can choose a bottle of wine that has been aged for a longer period of time, as the effects of sulfur dioxide will become less and less pronounced over time.
Warm Tips: Stay tuned to the LuFuture.com app for the latest market updates.